keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Thursday, September 22, 2011

She's (he's) a REAL girl now---Kinda. Maggie's Surgery

As most of the FB and Twitter world already know our cat, Maggie, was neutered yesterday. And it ABSOLUTELY broke my heart! She was so upset, scared and pitiful :(
Before putting Mag's in her crate all smiles
 before I knew how much it would hurt my heart.













Maggie tearing at the crate wanting out

As VH1 would say, here's the "Behind the Story," of Maggie Hammond

Adam's cousin, Kelli, has a BEAUUUUUUUUUUUTIFUL orange cat named Scooter. After I saw him I really really really wanted an orange cat for myself (I've always been an animal lover). So, I found a girl on Facebook Market Place (yes, you read that right...I found Maggie on Facebook) that had a litter of kittens that she was trying to find homes for. She had ONE orange and white kitty left and thus Maggie came in to our lives.
Kelli's cat Scooter
Now, when I picked Maggie up the girl told me that the orange and white kitten was a female. I DID NOT KNOW that the majority of orange cats are males. I have learned that it IS possible to have an orange female, it is rare but possible...so, needless to say once Maggie was older it was clear that she was NOT A GIRL. And I have since refused to change her name (or quit calling him - her or she). Maggie is just Maggie. Maybe gender confused or maybe a tranny....regardless she is loved. Plus this makes for GREAT conversation and confusion for people meeting her for the first time :)
Can you find baby Maggie?!?!

I've never thought it was a necessity to get Maggie fixed because she is an inside cat and has no other interaction with other animals OTHER than her sister Molly (a chocolate lab). It's pure sweetness when they give each other kisses. But trust me...there are days that Molly loves Maggie more than Maggie loves Molly. Anyways, I came across a non-profit neuter and spay vet that performs the surgery for a low price and I figured, "What the heck." That's how I wound up taking her to get neutered.
Maggie and Molly napping together. If this doesn't melt your
 heart you need to check your pulse.
 Maggie has been "lost" two times. The first time she was taken while Adam was moving across town to another apartment. The second time Maggie fell off our apartment balcony (3 flights). Each time Adam was so upset and hell bent on finding her...as you can see...he found her BOTH times. And it's special because Adam and Maggie have a special bond. Seriously! Never let Adam fool you...he LOOOOVES Maggie and Maggie LOVES her Daddy. When Adam is home she follows him around like a little puppy.  
Maggie LOVES to sleep on her Daddy's clothes

I was totally unprepared for how emotional this experience would be for me! I know, ridiculous, I sound like a NUT. But I worried all day yesterday while she was at the vet. (I guess it's that big heart in me ;)  ) My stomach was in knots and I was unable to eat yesterday until I picked her up. The second I saw Maggie at the vet after her surgery my eyes swelled with tears. I was completely caught off guard by how much my heart ached for her. I've already admitted it sounds ridiculous but she's a helpless little animal that depends on us and I didn't want her to feel like we had betrayed her. I hated knowing that she was hurt and so scared. My eyes filled with tears  on and off and on again last night for hours. 
Maggie post-surgery...she was SO mad at me
Maggie will survive (duh) and I will quit obsessing over her being mad at me. Right now she is enjoying the extra treats, extra lovin', behind the ear scratches and LOTS of attention. I even left the Animal Plant Channel on for her today :)
And I guess now is the time for me to clarify...I am NOT a crazy cat lady, I am an animal lover. I love all animals; dogs, cats, bunnies, gerbils, birds...etc. I am a sucker for cuteness :)

Maggie this morning...she's still acting a little "drunk" 
But she will be back to as good as new in 2 days

Lots of love and MEOWS! 

HAPPY GIRLS ARE THE PRETTIEST GIRLS!
or for today I should say
HAPPY KITTIES ARE THE PRETTIES KITTIES! :)





1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you poor thing!! If I'd have known you were THAT upset about the Mags' surgery I wouldn't have joked about it. She may not know it know, but Maggie will be soooo glad she finally got her sex change. ;)

    ReplyDelete