keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

HAPPY Fathers day! Cupcakes in a Jar

As Father's Day was approaching I was searching high and low for gift ideas. Dads (to me) are SO hard to buy for! My daddy and father-in-law both like red velvet cake. So, it came to me one day, I will make a batch of cupcakes to take to each. Simple right? As I was searching google for the "best red velvet" cupcake recipes I came across what is supposedly the HOTTEST thing in the cupcake world right now. CUPCAKES-IN-A-JAR. They have been featured on the Today Show with Hoda and Kathie Lee and in O Magazine. I also thought this was an excellent idea for traveling. Our route from Macon to OC is full of curvey roads and sharp turns.

This is such a fun and unique twist on the classic cupcakes. These would make great take home favors for any party. Baby showers, bridal, birthdays, dinner gatherings...etc.

-You make the cupcakes as the box instructs.
-Several websites/blogs that I looked at cooked large/oversized cupcakes and cute them in half. CAN YOU SAY HUGE MESS!!! So, what I did INSTEAD is not fill up my cupcake liner all the way (I accidently did on my 2nd batch) and they fit PERFECTLY in to the jars :) and made a lot less of a mess!!!
-Also, just as an FYI you can do this with any sized jar but I used 1/2 quart jam jars(I got a 12 pack from WalMart for $8). THEY WERE PERFECT!!!

I used a fork to guide my cupcakes down to he bottom of the jar
I have one of those fancy pastry icing bags but I love using a
gallon sized ziplock bag a million times more.
You can control the size of the "tip" much easier.
 I like that fatty thick "gigi's icing" look.
 And then just throw away the mess :)
I added some mini-chocolate chips just for fun!
 I found these CUTE rootbeer drinks at
our local "Fresh Market" I couldn't pass
up the chance to get them for our dads!
The diet one is for my diabetic daddy :)



SWEET TREATS FOR SOME SWEET DADDYS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment