keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Friday, March 4, 2011

MONOGRAMS!

I LOVE monograms. If I think it will fit into a monogram machine you best believe I will attempt it. Adam once told me that I needed to get a hobby. I told him, "I have one, it's called monogramming." :)
Making sure you get the monograms right can be a little confusing. So I did some research and put together the most commonly asked questions about monograms. Here's a little “cheat sheet” or suggestions for making sure you never commit a monogramming faux pas. :)

What is a a traditional monogram?
With a Traditional Monogram, the middle letter (the last name of the person) is LARGER and in the center. It is flanked by two smaller letters representing the first name on the left and either the middle or maiden name on the right. Traditional Monograms are usually used for women or couples.

What is a block monogram?
With a Block Monogram all the letters are the SAME size. Block Monograms are usually used for men. However, you can most definitely use block monograms for women if that is what you would like to do! Block monograms are not suggested for a married couple.

How do you arrange personalization for Women, Men and Couples (sharing a common last name)?
***Please note these are just suggestions. You can do ANYTHING you wish! If you want to use a monogram for a man - DO IT! If you want to use initials for a woman - DO IT! It is your gift to give and do it your way!***

Women’s Monogram: For most, the conventional personalization for woman is a monogram, consisting of three letters with a larger letter in the middle flanked by two smaller letters on each side. Traditionally, the larger middle letter is for the last name, the smaller letter on the left is for the first name and the smaller letter on the right is for either the middle name or maiden name. Check out my handy little example below:
Name: Lauren Ashley Edwards
Monogram: LEA



Now, when I got married to Douglas Adam Hammond and I kept my maiden name as my middle name here’s what happened.
Name: Lauren Edwards Hammond
Monogram: LHE

Men’s Monogram: The traditional personalization for a man are his horizontal initials also known as a block monogram. Each letter is the same height and appear in the same order as the actual name – first name, middle name, last name.

Name: Douglas Adam Hammond

Block Monogram: DAH (all letters being the same usually in a block font)

Couple’s Monogram: This is where it starts getting a little tricky for a lot of people. Traditionally when the bride takes the groom’s last name, the monogram is Bride’s First Name, Common Last Name, Groom’s First Name. However, it is totally up to the bride and groom how they’d like their married initials to appear, so it is always good to check with the couple beforehand. If you are in a pinch, just monogram the last initial – it still looks great and they will have no clue how befuddled you were. Here’s an example of a traditional couple’s monogram:
Couple’s Name: Lauren Ashley Edwards married Douglas Adam Hammond
Blended Monogram: LHD


Are you getting married and you want to use your "couples" monogram?

When I was planning a wedding I wanted to throw our "couple" monogram on EVERYTHING. I learned very quickly that there are monogramming rules to follow when getting married.
And again please note this is just the traditional way and it is totally up to you what YOU want!
Before the wedding ceremony: It's a big no-no to use your married monogram before you're actually married. So that means using a monogram with your new last name or initial on save-the-dates, invitations, thank you notes, etc. is taboo. What you CAN do is use a monogram that has just your first initials or first names. We did this on our wedding invitations (because I was dying to use some sort of monogram!)

During the wedding ceremony: This is still a gray area, but I say if you want to use your married monogram, go for it! The married monogram is a visual symbol of two people joining as one... so I personally feel the wedding ceremony is a perfect time to begin using your new monogram on anything from aisle runners, unity candles, programs, etc.

After the wedding ceremony: Anything goes! Use your married monogram on anything you wish- the reception is a complete green light to display your new married monogram proudly be it on a table runner, menus, the cake, the dance floor, anything your little heart desires!
And isn't this cute ^^^^^^? Adam got it for me for Valentines Day! I decided to add a photo of it since the topic is about monogramming :)

2 comments:

  1. Jeff and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your Hammond Family plaque!! I ESPECIALLY LOVE the EST. 2010 PART!!!! Tooooooooo cute!!!! I have never seen that before!! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious! Now, can you tell me what to do with monogrammed stuff if you get divorced? :-(

    ReplyDelete