keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mama

Sometimes it is really hard to put in to words a relationship that you have with someone, especially when you owe your life to that person…literally. What is a mother? Webster defines it simply as this: one's female parent. I guess Webster has as much trouble as I do when it comes to describing the depth of such a special person. A mother goes far beyond the simple explanation of “one’s female parent.” Yes, Lynn Edwards is a female. Yes she is my parent but she is SO MUCH more than that, not only to me but to others around her. She is a dedicated daughter and daughter in law, a loving wife, a sister to the sister she never had, my Aunt Karen, she is the funny aunt, a chauffeur, a travel agent, an event planner, a coupon queen, a compassionate heart, a teacher, a voice of reason, a shoulder to lean on, a nurse, a short order cook, strong willed, an etiquette teacher, a referee and most importantly a loving, fair and kind MOM.

When I think of my mom memories such as her coming down to my bedroom around 10 pm at night and sliding into my bed come to the fore thought of my mind. She would run her fingers through my hair or if I was lucky she would scratch my back. We would watch TV occasionally talk about the day’s events but mostly just drift off to sleep. When I would wake up in the morning she would be long gone. Funny how those insignificant things at the time seemed like nothing but fill your heart up with warm and fuzzies when you are older.

She’s always told me that she knew before I was born that I was a girl, she “just knew” she was going to have a daughter because we already had that “special” bond before I ever made my appearance on this earth.

I look an awful lot like my mom. Some would say, “A spittin’ image.” I take that as quite the compliment. She is beautiful but not only on the outside, on the inside as well. I think I get a lot of the way I am from her. I don’t let people push me around, I am very strong willed, I have confidence, I love my friends and I have such a great appreciation for family (that I learned from both my parents). I am not perfect and my parents would be the first to tell you that. Lord knows I put them through some rough times…especially those middle school years. But I am proud of who I am and where I come from. She’s never tried to keep me in OC, she’s always let me spread my wings and take them for a spin. She was and is willing to do anything for us, her daughters, but did not/ does not do everything for us. She has allowed us to make our own mistakes and learn from them. I can never repay her for the stress, money, craziness or tears that I have cost her over the years. I can only say that I appreciate and love her more than she will ever know. I can only hope that one day I will be half the MOM that she is to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment