keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Monday, March 7, 2011

If you had the chance to save a life would you?

Last night as Adam and I were watching The Celebrity Apprentice he asked me what charity would I give my winnings to...I knew without having to think about it, Donate Life. In 2004 my Aunt Karen needed a liver transplant to live. She received this precious gift (life) and we are so thankful to have her here. I feel that so many people are uneducated when it comes to organ donation and I want to use this time while it is on my mind to educate. And just FYI it's now "Organ, eye and tissue donor" not just organs :) Unfortunately, thousands never get the call saying that a suitable donor organ- and a second chance at life- has been found.

As my sister says, "If you had the chance to save a life would you?"

Transplantation is one of the most remarkable success stories in the history of medicine. But despite continuing advances in medicine and technology, the NEED for organs and tissue is vastly greater than the number available for transplantion. Transplantaion gives HOPE to thousands of people with organ failure and provides many others with active and renewed lives.

Check out this heart touching story that aired on the Today Show, "Mom hears late daughter's heart beat- inside donee"---13 year old's donated organs saved life: 'Her heart had this huge kick' http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39456266/ns/today-today_health/

Here are some statistics:
- More than 100,000 men, women and children CURRENTLY need life-saving organ transplants.
- Every 10 minutes ANOTHER name is ADDED to the national organ transplant list.
- An average of 18 people DIE a each day from the lack of available organs transplant.
- Last year, more than 42,000 grafts were made available for transplant by eye banks within the United States
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.
- Up to 50 people can be helped by 1 tissue donor
- 1 organ donor can save the lives of up to 8 people

There are many MYTHS about Organ, Eye and Tissue donations
Myth: If I agree to donate my organs, the hospital staff won't work as hard to save my life.
Fact: When you go to the hospital for treatment, doctors focus on saving your life- not somebody else's. The doctor in charge of your care has nothing to do with transplantation.

Myth: Rich and Famous people go to the top of the list when they need a donor organ.
Fact: The rich and famous aren't given priority when it comes to allocating organs.

Myth: My family will be charged if I donate my organs.
Fact: The organ donor's family is never charged for donating. Costs for organ removal go to the transplant recipient.

Myth: An open-casket funeral isn't an option for people who have donated organs or tissues.
Fact: Organ and tissue donation doesn't interfere with having an open-casket funeral. The donors body is clothed for burial, so there are no visible signs of organ or tissue donation.

Myth: I'm not in the best of health. Nobody would want my organs or tissues.
Fact: Very few medical conditions automatically disqualify you from donating organs. The decision to use an organ is based on strict medical criteria. Don't disqualify yourself prematurely.
So again I ask...If YOU hand the CHANCE to SAVE a life, would you?

If you have made it this far in my blog...stay tuned for tomorrow...trust me, I am headed somewhere with this!!!

Family

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, Thank you so much for posting this. As we've talked before, organ donation is something both of us are passionate about. I hope it's ok, but I may use some of your statistic to post on my dads blog. We are very fortunate to live in the state of Georgia were there is a very high organ donation rate as well as transplant rate. I keep your aunt in my daily prayers. What a beautiful lady she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!~Educating the public, dispelling myths about organ donation, and informing others on how to become a donor is the most important thing we can do!...Life takes guts!!! =)

    ReplyDelete