keeping up with Kinney

keeping up with Kinney

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life

Holy smokes it has been over a month since I have updated my blog...but in all fairness life has been in the way. We have successfully made the transition from Macon to Memphis and we are LOVING our new home! Thank you for all the support and prayers. Adam's new station keeps him busy (Memphis is NEVER lacking in news) but he is already becoming a much stronger reporter in the short time that he has been with Channel3 (CBS).

I spent a total of 2 weeks acting as "House Wifey" and quickly learned that that is NOT for me. I LOVE people and social interaction way too much to stay couped up at home. Although, I am sure that Adam liked having dinner ready when he got home and his laundry done :)

I did eventually get a job with the United Way of the Mid-South and I am L-O-V-I-N-G absolutely every minute of it. I loved my job AND co-workers in Macon (and I miss them ALL the time). But this United Way is MUCH bigger than the one I came from (50 on staff vs. 13 on staff in Macon. Memphis UW funds 100 agencies vs. Macon 33 agencies). All the new people, personalities and businesses make each day different. They wasted ZERO time breaking me in....I've had PLENTY of early morning meetings with UPS, 1st Tennessee Bank, Macys, EMC Training and SunTrust. It has only been a week and a half. However, I am not complaining because I am happy here.

Now that I have quickly brought you all up to date on our lives....it is time for me to get to the actual purpose of this blog.

Lady Antebellum's song "I Was Here," is possibly one of my all time favorite songs. It reminds me of why I do what I do and why, I, without a doubt LOVE what I do. It was the first song that came through my speakers this morning.


You will notice me
I’ll be leaving my mark
Like initials carved in an old oak tree
You wait and see

Maybe I’ll write like Twain wrote
Maybe I’ll paint like Van Gogh
Cure the common cold… I don’t know
But I’m ready to start ‘cause I know in my heart

I wanna do something that matters
Say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
Wanna do something better
With the time I’ve been given
I wanna try
To touch a few hearts in this life
And leave nothing less than something that says
I was here

I will prove you wrong
If you think I’m all talk
You’re in for a shock ‘cause this dreams too strong
Before too long

Maybe I’ll compose symphonies
Maybe I’ll fight for world peace
‘Cause I know it’s my destiny
to leave more than a trace of myself in this place

 I know that I will do more than just pass through this life
I’ll leave nothing less than something that says
I was here

My FAVORITE line, "Cause I know it’s my destiny to leave more than a trace of myself in this place". I feel every word when she sings that line and I BELIEVE every word. I am so happy with what I do. I realized what I was destined to do while working at Disney World. Disney has a strong partnership with the "Make A Wish" foundation. While working there I met a dear little girl named Hannah; it was then 5 years ago that I feel in love with the non-profit world. Hannah was a terminally ill child and her "wish" was to go to "Disney World and while there meet Princess Jasmine- since Jasmine was her favorite Princess." I remember my 10 hour day was over...I was in the midst of changing out of my Jasmine attire when my attendant walked in and said, "We have a Make a Wish child here. She is dressed as Princess Jasmine and her parents are begging to see you but it is up to you if you want to meet with her or not, since you are off the clock." Who could deny a Make a Wish child? I was tired and WANTED to go home...but I knew it wouldn't settle right with me if I did not go and see the little girl. Besides who could do that to a child??? I sucked it up and walked out into "Morocco"  and it was then that my life was changed. There are no words to describe the light in her eyes or the joy that filled my heart the moment I saw her. But even more so, what made the moment I met Hannah even more special were her parents and their undying gratitude, all while I was thanking them for allowing ME to meet their special little girl. It was then that I knew God had a direction for me and that I SAW the direction.
Hannah was dressed as Princess Jasmine but she thought Princess Jasmine had "left the building" and changed into her park day clothes


 I want to make a difference. I want to make people happy. I want to save a life. I want to help a single parent. I want to supply a family with food. Help someone get back on their feet AND give support. I want to do something that matters. I want to do something better with the time I’ve been given. I want to try to touch a few hearts in this life and leave nothing less than something that says I WAS HERE. United Way provides and opens ALLLLL of these channels for me. Non-profit is where my heart is at and I could never see myself doing anything else. I love my job! 


An Audrey Hepburn quote describes the way I feel- “I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment